[llvm-dev] [Progress Update] LLVM Runtimes Subdirectory

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 26 16:58:26 PDT 2016

> On Aug 26, 2016, at 3:22 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> On 26 August 2016 at 22:45, Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> Recently, I’ve made a handful of new changes that actually make it useful, and I wanted to blast out this update and encourage people to give it a try.
>
> Woot! Compiling RT as we speak... :)
>
> Interesting, "ninja runtimes-configure" wants to build the whole
> thing... Is that because you use the just-built clang to build the
> multiple targets for each runtime?

Yes, because it uses the just-built tools, clang is a dependency of the configure step.

> What's the CMake variable to enable RT for ARM, even though I'm
> running on x86_64?

This isn’t explicitly supported yet, but the standard COMPILER_RT_* prefixed options will be passed through.

>>> cmake ...
>>> ninja runtimes-configure
>>> ninja asan
>
> It does seem awkward. I don't know CMake well enough to know what's
> the problem, much less how to fix it, sorry. :(
>
> In pure Make, I'd just make the asan rule depend on the other, maybe
> the ninja file could be changed in that way?

The problem is that the top-level CMake doesn’t actually know what targets to generate until after you configure compiler-rt because the capabilities of the compiler you build will impact what targets get generated.

>> The big items on my to-do list are:
>> * Running the builtins tests
>> * Porting libcxxabi and libunwind
>> * Getting check-all with a single lit invocation
>> * IDE support
>> * Supporting specifying the path of runtime libraries
>
> Sounds like a solid plan.

-Chris