[llvm-dev] Use of array type in globals in LTO

Teresa Johnson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 26 16:03:27 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 3:07 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Aug 26, 2016, at 2:06 PM, Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Mehdi: I see what is going on:
> >
> > +    ArrayType *Ty =
> > +        ArrayType::get(Type::getInt8Ty(RegularLTO.Ctx), I.second.Size);
> > +    GlobalVariable *OldGV = RegularLTO.CombinedModule->
> getNamedGlobal(I.first);
> > +    if (OldGV && OldGV->getType()->getElementType() == Ty) {
> > +      // Don't create a new global if the type is already correct, just
> make
> > +      // sure the alignment is correct.
> >
> > We compare the existing type to an ArrayType constructed from the
> > recorded merged common size. So
> > the original i32 type does not look the same (since it compares
> > against [4 x i8]).
>
> Right, but that the code I wrote in r279417 right? I guess we should
> compare the *size* first, and only do something if the size differs.

Yeah. In fact the original handling added in r278338 (addCommons) didn't
even compare the size, it always created a new merged common with an
ArrayType.

> How was Gold doing it before r278338?

It was just letting the ModuleLinker handle it (which kept the largest one
by size), and then it fixed up the alignment later.

Will change to first compare the size.