[llvm-dev] CFLAA

Jia Chen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 26 12:28:18 PDT 2016

On 08/25/2016 08:34 PM, David Callahan wrote:
> Hi Jia, nice to meet you,
>

> On 8/25/16, 6:22 PM, "Jia Chen" <jchen at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I am the one who's responsible for CFLAA's refactoring in the summer.
>> I've sent out another email on llvm-dev, and you can find more about my
>> work in my GSoC final report.
>
> Is this report available?

Yes. You can find the PDF in my github repository:
https://github.com/grievejia/GSoC2016

> Sorry, I forgot your last question,
>
> The benchmarks were a rather arbitrarily selected set of files out of
> Facebook¹s codebase
> so not really suitable to share.

Thanks for the info!

I asked the question with the intention to better understand the results
you posted. Based on my own experience, how the benchmarks are written
sometimes has a noticeable impact on the effectiveness of cfl-aa. For
example, if the codes are written in such a way that a large buffer gets
allocated first and then the majority of the program logic deal with
pointers obtained by offsetting into this buffer, it is unlikely that
the current implementation of cfl-aa will produce any useful results
given its field-insensitive nature. Identifying common program idioms
like this and adapt cfl-aa and its clients to handle them better is one
of the thing I'd be interested to look into.

--
Best Regards,

--
Jia Chen