[llvm-dev] [RFC] AAP Backend

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 26 11:54:49 PDT 2016

Re-reading the thread, it looks like there is a difference of opinion
what "an active community behind the target" means: an active community
of LLVM-target-maintainers, and/or an active community of end-users.

I'd think the immediate practical concern is that there is an active
community of LLVM-target-maintainers, so that the maintenance burden
does not fall unduly on the rest of the LLVM community.  Beyond that
is the broader and vaguer question of whether there is anybody *else*
who would benefit from the in-tree target, other than the maintainers.
You could think of the former as a "cost" (to the LLVM community)
question, and the latter as a "benefit" (beyond the community) question.
Or even more succinctly:
- does is hurt "us" to have this?
- does it help "them" to have this?
A secondary point to having an end-user community is that if the
initial maintainers drop out for any reason, there is likely to be
somebody to take their place, preserving the low-hurt characteristic.

As a straw man, if some of us ex-DEC folks wanted to resurrect the
Alpha target, I'd think that would be pretty cool, but it's hard to
point to anybody that could actually make use of an Alpha-target Clang.
So while I suspect there are enough of us around that the "hurt" part
could be low to nothing, there's really nobody on the "help" side.
And after the Alpha fans die off, well, that's that.

I didn't pay enough attention to the Lanai debate to know whether
Google has much of an end-user community there.  It seems likely the
hurt side would not be a problem, even if the current maintainers
rotate out for whatever reason then Google seems likely to rotate in
somebody else to take their place.  That capacity would seem to make
it less necessary to identify an end-user community of its own.

Regarding AAP, we've got a few target-maintainers, who say they do
have target-users who could benefit.  Alex asked if the maintainers
could better quantify their user base, which seems like a reasonable
question.  Who is on the "help" side?  Would they be able to take
over from the initial target-maintainers if necessary?

--paulr