[llvm-dev] Request suggestions about how to remove redundencies caused by SCEV expansion fundementally

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 24 12:01:41 PDT 2016

Hi Wei,

Das<sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>  wrote:

 >>> Hi Wei,
 >>>
 >>> I've not seen GCC's SCEV so I cannot make a comparative comment here
 >>> (maybe Chris, Andy or Dan can chime in here), but I personally am in
 >>> the "make the cleanup passes smarter" camp.  We can also try to make
 >>> SCEV expansion smarter -- not by putting more things in SCEVExpander
 >>> (it is already complex enough!), but by splitting out a dedicated
 >>> SCEVSimplifier that you invoke on code generated from SCEVExpander to
 >>> strength reduce it.  SCEVSimplifier can then internally use routines
 >>> in SCEV, so that it is "as smart as" SCEV in most cases.
 >>>
 >>> — Sanjoy
 >
 > Combine the efforts of making the cleanup passes smarter and
 > simplifying the expanded code to make it more IR canonical looks like
 > a promising way. But I may not understand SCEVSimplifier you suggested
 > here correctly: The input of SCEVSimplifier is IR or SCEV? The code
 > generated by SCEVExpander is IR. If the input of SCEVSimplifier is IR,
 > how does it use SCEV routine internally?

It accepts a ScalarEvolution instance that it uses internally to check
for equivalences, so the interface is:

class Simplifier {
public:
   Simplifier(ScalarEvolution &SE);
   Value *simplify(Value *);
};

or something like that.  Once we have this separation between
expansion and strength reduction, we can be more aggressive (than we
can reasonably be within SCEVExpander) about teaching Simplifier SCEV
based CSE rules.

In this scheme it would be more complicated to have a "expand, but
only if we can do it cheaply" type schemes.

-- Sanjoy