[llvm-dev] [RFC] GitHub Survey - Please review

Justin Bogner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 19 15:50:06 PDT 2016

Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> writes:
> On 19 August 2016 at 19:35, Justin Bogner <mail at justinbogner.com> wrote:
>> I think you misunderstood what I meant here. Whether "moving to git"
>> will affect my workflow depends very much on "how we're moving to
>> git".
>
> That's exactly what I understood. :)
>
>> For example, if we do a monorepo, I may now need to lay code out
>> differently on my filesystem (since I currently check out multiple repos
>> rooted at llvm), or if we do a multirepo I probably need to learn some
>> new commands to associate llvm and clang repos (rather than using git
>> svn find-rev). If we do something where there's a monorepo of some of
>> the stuff but not all, I probably have to adapt to things from each.
>
> My point is: either way, you'll have to "change your workflow". For
> some people workflow A will be "less change", for others, it will be
> workflow B. For some others still, neither A nor B will be easier than
> Git-SVN, or just SVN.
>
> My other point was: *a lot* of people already "adapt" their workflow,
> so capturing how much each option will make to each person is less
> important than catching how much *any* change will mean to *most*
> people.
>
> To capture and weigh each edge of a graph with hundreds of nodes will
> need a very smart AI. But I can do it reasonably well with a dozen or
> so on my own. I don't have the time nor the expertise to build such an
> AI, and it would ultimately have uncertainties, which could very well
> amount to the same ones we get with less, imprecise questions.
>
> This whole exercise has already deviated the focus and work of *A LOT*
> of people in the community. I'm trying to make it less painful.
>
> So, I think it's perfectly acceptable to lose some of the semantics on
> the questions if we get the gist of what the community wants.
>
> makes sense?

My point is still unaddressed - I wouldn't be able to answer this
question as phrased. If we go with the multi-repo (as currently
proposed) my answer is "very little change to workflow". If we go with
most of the mono-repo proposals so far, my answer is "major change to
workflow". If the survey is just "what does switching to git do to your
workflow?", I simply can't answer at all.