[llvm-dev] [RFC] GitHub Survey - Please review

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 19 14:07:10 PDT 2016

On 19 August 2016 at 19:25, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:
> Maybe divide the survey into sections, and sequence through different
> sections depending on the answers to preliminary questions. So you could
> ask (some better-phrased version of) "do you maintain infrastructure that
> draws on the upstream repository?"

I'm trying to keep it simple. Not that the survey will be hard for
people to follow, but it will be hard to draw conclusions if we make
it too complicated.

I'm not an expert in surveys, but I also think that the more
complicated we make it, the more "conclusions" people will be able to
take that match their own bias.

We won't have statistical relevance for dozens of questions, but we
may for no more than one dozen.

> Therefore, rather than try to come up with a collective "Sony response"
> I'm going to encourage my teammates to take the survey, with the only
> caveat being that we try to answer the affiliation question the same way.

I think we can interpret every answer with a name/email to be personal
and just the affiliation to be "company/project/university".

I'll change the initial text to mean that.

cheers,
--renato