[llvm-dev] Memory scope proposal

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 17 16:00:35 PDT 2016

I'm coming at this from a CUDA perspective, so apologies if this
doesn't make a lot of sense:

In CUDA we have a similar problem as OpenCL.  CUDA solves it by having
a bunch of atomic builtins for each of the memory scopes.  These map
to various llvm target-specific intrinsics.

It's not great, because the intrinsics are mostly opaque to the
optimizer.  But atomic ops are already pretty slow on the GPU, so I've
been operating under the assumption that this isn't hurting us too
much.

Am I wrong about that?