[llvm-dev] enabling interleaved access loop vectorization

Michael Kuperstein via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 16 14:51:05 PDT 2016

Hi Ayal, Elena,

I'd really like to enable this by default.

As I wrote above, I didn't see any regressions in internal benchmarks, and
there doesn't seem to be anything in SPEC2006 either. I do see a
performance improvement in an internal benchmark (that is, a real
workload).

Would you be able to provide an example that gets pessimized? I have no
doubt you've seen regressions related to this, but the fact they exist
doesn't help me analyze them as long as I can't see them. :-) I'd really
rather look at regressions before making the change - and either try to
make the necessary improvements to the cost model, or abandon this as
unfeasible for now (pending Ashutosh's work).

If you can't, an alternative is to turn this on, and then, if regressions
show up on anyone's radar (where we can actually get a reproducer), turn it
off again and go back to analysis. But I'd strongly prefer to "prefetch"
the problem.

Thanks,
  Michael