[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Aug 7 16:55:28 PDT 2016

Skimming the thread, this post is the clearest path forward I've seen.
Minor comments inline, but I generally like this framing.

On 07/14/2016 08:04 PM, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev wrote:
> We need better terminology to talk about this. I propose:
>
> analysis-dependencies: analysis A uses result of analysis B when
> *running* an analysis and not used by the result
> query-dependencies: result of analysis A uses result of analysis B
> when evaluating a query
> data-structure-depnedencies: result of analysis A uses data structures
> from the result of analysis B inside its own data structures
>
> I think these are much more precise than "hard" or "soft" and expose
> more facets.
>
> For analysis-depnedencies, I continue to think they work correctly. If
> a transformation claims it preserves an analysis, it must actually
> know this to be true. I don't see any actual problems here in practice
> today, and this isn't actually something changed in the new PM.
>
> For data-structure-dependencies, the investigation done by Sean seems
> to clearly show these to be rare, and I think having their invalidate
> methods be overridden to test that *all* of the data structures they
> depend on are preserved is the correct approach.
This may end up being too error prone.  That seems to be Sean's concern
down thread.  I am also worried about that, but assuming the number of
such occurrences are low, it seems reasonable to start with this
approach and revisit if needed.

> The primary issue seems to be with query-dependencies. These in turn
> break down into two categories:
>
> 1) query-dependencies on "immutable" analysis results. These are
> results that we *never* expect to be invalidated and we just want easy
> access to. TargetLibraryInfo is the classic example here.
>
> 2) query-dependencies on normal analysis results. DominatorTree and
> and AAResults are the primary examples here.
>
> I would like to have a simple way to handle #1 by ensuring
> invalidation doesn't occur. I think this already works, but I'm
> interested if there is actually an issue here.
>
> We *could* handle #2 much like data-structure-dependencies, but I hear
> Hal and others that this would become burdensome. However, my
> preference would be to instead handle #2 by making result APIs accept
> direct handles to the analysis results they rely on.
>
> The reason for preferring this approach is because I think it makes
> the relationship between these things much more clear to users of the
> analyses.
+1 to this.  Having the query dependencies explicit at the call site
would generally make the code much easier to understand and thus much
more likely to be correct.  I recently ran across an issue in LVI under
the old pass manager that looks highly suspicious, but because the code
is quite complex (putting it mildly), I wasn't sure whether it was
correct or not.  Having the additional analyzes passed in explicitly
through the query would make many of these cases substantially easier to
audit.