[llvm-dev] CFI error with binutils 2.27

Richard Pennington via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 6 09:39:31 PDT 2016

Hi,

:If I compile this file with debugging enabled (clang/LLVM TOT)

int main()
{
}

I get the error

Error: inconsistent uses of .cfi_sections

 From the 2.27 binutils assemblers. It seems that 2.27 doesn't like the

.cfi_sections .debug_frame

directive following previous .cfi directives. The assemblers seem to be
happy if the .cfi_sections directive precedes any other .cfi directive.
Is this a bug in binutils or LLVM? It looks as if a fix might be to move
the generation of the .cfi_sections directive from endModule() to
somewhere else (maybe a non-existant beginModule()?).

Could someone give me some hints about what the right approach might be?
It looks as if the ARM code generator might need special handling also
since it appears to emit the .cfi_sections directive itself.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Rich