[llvm-dev] ArrayBoundChecks in SafeCode-llvm37

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 28 19:18:51 PDT 2016

On 4/28/16 8:43 PM, Syed Rafiul Hussain wrote:
> Thanks Professor Criswell for your reply.

You're welcome.  Please keep replies on the list so that others can
track and add to the conversation.

> I just need the constraintGeneration pass (i.e., interprocedural
> constraint generation pass) of ArrayBoundChecks.

The constraint generation code is really old.  It will need some
significant work to get it working again.  There is also the question of
whether it is better to generate constraints for Omega (the linear
solver from Bill Pugh's group, IIRC) or whether generating constraints
for CVC4 or Z3 would be better (I suspect Omega uses a better algorithm,
but CVC4 and Z3 are better maintained; one could also adapt Omega to
CVC4 if desired).

>   I have the DSA
> updated to LLVM 3.8 already.

Cool.  Can you put that into a Github repo somewhere?  Other people are
wanting DSA for LLVM 3.8.

>   More specifically, I want to find out the
> post dominance frontier (pdf) for a particular basic block. I can find
> the pdf for a function. But, I need the pdf up to the main.entry.

Constraint generation is not needed for computing the post-dominance
frontier.  You simply need to use the call graph from either DSA or the
LLVM Call Graph pass and compute the post dominance frontier on your
own.  It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, though call graph
precision for code with function pointers could be an issue.

The old constraint generation code generates constraints for values that
are stored in memory.  It won't help compute an inter-procedural
dominance frontier.

Regards,

John Criswell