[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Fwd: Raising CMake minimum version to 3.4.3

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 27 12:09:55 PDT 2016

On 27 April 2016 at 19:44, Chris Bieneman <beanz at apple.com> wrote:
> I’m suggesting the version 3.4.3 because it is the last 3.4.x build, and the
> CMake community is really strict about what gets put into patch releases.

That certainly seems to be the case. I'm happy with 3.4.x.

> I don’t believe so. I’ve read the release notes
> (https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.5/release/3.5.html), and I don’t think
> there is anything really important to us in them. I am interested in a few
> things being discussed on the cmake-developers list though
> (http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake-developers/2016-January/027370.html).
> It looks like that might make CMake 3.6, and it could be interesting for us.
> That said, this is likely a case where we could easily support the old and
> new versions without much problem and it doesn’t impact build correctness.

Is CMake like Linux that the even releases are stable and odd are
experimental (or vice versa)?

If not, I think we can safely update to CMake M.N as soon as M.N+1 is
declared "stable". This worked before with 2.8, and should work with
3.4.

> While I don’t want to advocate for us updating frequently “just because”, I
> do think that if there are compelling reasons to update every year or two,
> we shouldn’t be afraid to.

This is a big issue now because we're still relying on what's on the distros.

As soon as we officially move to built-in, and as long as we keep our
documentation in order, and make sure to mention strict versions and
build methods (no git, only tarballs), then moving CMake versions
won't be a big issue.

cheers,
--renato