[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Fwd: Raising CMake minimum version to 3.4.3

Florent Castelli via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 27 07:28:24 PDT 2016

> On 27 Apr 2016, at 14:47, Renato Golin via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 27 April 2016 at 13:42, Bruce Hoult <bruce at hoult.org> wrote:
>> cmake is a big dependency, but it doesn't seem to have many dependencies
>> itself. They say it's just a C++ compiler and a make (not necessarily gnu).
>> Probably there are one or two more than that :-)  A shell, for a start; git
>> or tar/gzip etc.
>
> It needs a compatible version of C and C++ libraries. If you build on
> a modern machine but run on an older Linux, you'll get at least
> libstdc++ clashes.

It doesn’t link dynamically with libstdc++ and it requires glibc 2.2.5 apparently, from 2002.
They make sure it works on ancient systems when they do a release.
If you want to build a bleeding edge compiler on a system from 2002, you may have bigger issues
than trying to run CMake.

> Also, compiling CMake and Ninja is not the most reliable way of
> deploying buildbots.

Ninja is not the problem here though and I would agree that it’s not reliable.
Fortunately, CMake can generate projects compatible with quite old versions of Make already.

> What's wrong with using newer CMake features IFF you have that
> version? Then you can choose where to incur the extra deployment cost
> or not based on your need of that feature.

Maintenance burden.
Few people will understand why there’s 2 code paths in the build script and will duplicate the wrong
one when creating a new module and looking for “inspiration".