[llvm-dev] Retrieving numeric value of instruction operand

Ammar Naqvi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Apr 23 23:27:27 PDT 2016

Hello Everyone,

I need some help in retrieving the numeric value of an instruction operand
from LLVM IR.

this is what the IR looks like for a simple add function that adds two i32
integers

define i32 @summ(i32 %a, i32 %b) #0 {
entry:
  %add = add nsw i32 %b, %a
  ret i32 %add
}

i would like to know the integer value of %a and %b.

I've tried

-i->getOpcodeName() which gives me the string add

-i->getOperand(0) which gives me the string i32 %b

-i->getOperand(0)->getName() which gives me the string a

what method exists to get the actual integer value of the operands?
for example we called summ(1,2), how to retrieve the values 1 and 2 held in
the operands?

Any help and guidance is greatly appreciated! :)

Best,
Ammar