[llvm-dev] [RFC] remove the llvm.expect intrinsic

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 22 10:39:05 PDT 2016

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 10:27 AM, Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com <mailto:listmail at philipreames.com>> wrote:
>

> On 04/22/2016 09:20 AM, Sanjay Patel via llvm-dev wrote:
>> I've proposed removing the llvm.expect intrinsic:
>> http://reviews.llvm.org/D19300 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D19300>
>>
>> The motivation for this change is in:
>> http://reviews.llvm.org/D19299 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D19299>
>>
>> For reference:
>> 1. We created an intrinsic that's only reason for existing is to improve perf, but the intrinsic can harm optimization by interfering with transforms in other passes.
> I don't follow this at all.  Given expects are eagerly lowered to metadata, where's the interaction?  In particular, the expect lowering overrules any metadata on the associated branch/switch.  This is exactly what you'd expect for a user annotation interacting with PGO data.
>
> I agree that a user annotation should override PGO data.

PGO is also a user input: the user is basically saying "I want the code to be optimized for *this* use case".
So interestingly I would have thought the opposite: PGO overrides the source code annotation.
Here are a couple of reasons why:
 - libraries can be used by different client and what is common in one case might not for another.
 - code evolves, and user can fail to revisit assumption about the common case
 - the user can be wrong, PGO should not (?).

--
Mehdi