[llvm-dev] Questions on writing a machine pass in LLVM

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 20 07:35:24 PDT 2016

On 4/19/2016 9:25 PM, Wenqing Zhuang via llvm-dev wrote:

> Hi, my name is Wenqing(Wendell) Zhuang who is a Ph.D student in the
> college of EECS of Syracuse University in US, I am currently writing a
> machine pass of LLVM which checks if a pointer points to an address that
> is out of a certain range. So in that pass, I need to determine if a
> pointer points to a stack slot or to a non-stack area(e.g heap), I call
> the function: X86InstrInfo::isLoadFromStackSlot(const MachineInstr *MI,
> int &FrameIndex) in my pass which is added in
> X86PassConfig::addPreEmitPass(), however, that function always return 0
> for every Machine Instruction, and returned FrameIndex is always 0, my
> pass is executed before code emit and after register allocation, but
> isLoadFromStackSlot and isStoreToStackSlot do not work as I expected in
> my pass,I can hardly figure out why.
>

> I really appreciate if anyone can help me with this. Thanks. The best!

Hi Wenqing,
The functions isLoadFromStackSlot and isStoreToStackSlot only work while
the frame indices are still present as instruction operands. After
prolog/epilog insertion, they will be replaced with actual
register/offset values and determining whether any load or store
accesses a stack slot is likely beyond the intended scope of these
functions.

If your pass runs before prolog/epilog insertion, it should work fine,
but I suspect it runs too late.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation