[llvm-dev] RFC: EfficiencySanitizer

Alexander Potapenko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 20 05:19:19 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 9:17 PM, Derek Bruening via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Filipe Cabecinhas <filcab at gmail.com> wrote:
> The shadow memory for tools we are considering include 64:1, 4:1, and 1:1.
> This is all within the ranges of existing sanitizers.  Each tool will have
> inlined instrumentation to update shadow memory on either every memory
> access or in some cases just focusing on the heap; I do not have a number
> for code size expansion. The slowdown ranges were in the original email:
> 2x-5x.
Given that you're going to store metadata for 4-64 cache lines of user
memory in a single shadow memory cache line, do you anticipate
additional slowdown related to false sharing of shadow memory in
multithreaded applications? Any plans to deal with that?

--
Alexander Potapenko
Software Engineer

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße, 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg