[llvm-dev] Move InlineCost.cpp out of Analysis?

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 18 14:18:04 PDT 2016

The difference between Analysis and Transforms is *not* about passes, but
about what the code *does*.

Code for mutating the IR should be in Transforms, and code that analyzes
the IR without mutating it should be in Analysis. This is why, for example,
InstructionSimplify is in Analysis -- it does not mutate the IR in any way.

So I think InlineCost and similar things should stay in the Analysis
library regardless of whether they are passes or not.