[llvm-dev] LTO and intrinsics mangling

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 18 09:52:59 PDT 2016

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 9:45 AM, Artur Pilipenko via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> In the current mangling scheme for overloaded intrinsics we include overloaded type names in the intrinsic name. For example:
>
> %struct.foobar = type { i32 }
> declare <4 x %struct.foobar*> @llvm.masked.load.v4p0struct.foobar(<4 x %struct.foobar*>*, i32, <4 x i1>, <4 x %struct.foobar*>)
>
> Verifier checks that an overloaded intrinsic name matches with its signature.

I assume the verify does this just for internal consistency, if there is another good reason all of what I write below does not make sense probably...

We could make it tolerating this by trying to remove the suffix for the types and accept that the intrinsic name matches the type name without the suffix?

> When different modules are loaded in LTO configuration with the same LLVMContext, types with the same name from different modules are renamed so their names are unique (%struct.foobar in the second module becomes %struct.foobar.0). After renaming intrinsic names and signatures can become inconsistent.
>
> Usually it slips unnoticed because we don't verify individual modules and eventually map isomorphic types to a single type. So isomorphic types get their original names. Although in some cases it causes problems.
>
> Initially I came across the problem with my recent change which added an overloaded type to the masked load/store intrinsics (http://reviews.llvm.org/D17270 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D17270>). The discrepancy between the name and the signature triggers auto-upgrade bit from my patch converting an incorrect mangling to the correct one. But later after remapping of isomorphic types when we return to the original type name this “updated" intrinsic name become invalid.

In the same way, I'd try to avoid "autoupgrading" in this case? I'm puzzled by the fact that round-tripping to bitcode within the same version of LLVM triggers an "upgrade".

--
Mehdi