[llvm-dev] Can a bc file generated by the windows version llvm run with the linux version llvm?

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 13 05:00:22 PDT 2016

LLVM IR is machine-independent. That doesn't mean it is portable between
different environments.

Things that can make an IR file not portable between different OSes include:

- different sizes or alignments for data types
- different struct layout and padding, even for structs declared
identically in C
- different encoded names of C or C++ functions from external libraries
(even as simple as _ or not)
- different values for #defines and enums from system headers
- completely different members, layout, sizes in structs from system headers