[llvm-dev] X86 TRUNCATE cost for AVX & AVX2 mode

Nema, Ashutosh via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 12 05:46:28 PDT 2016

Problem is in the cost table for SSE4.1 where cost for TRUNCATE (v16i32 to v16i8) is defined very high.
Because of this in few cases compiler finds VF16 costly and selects VF<16, which results in less optimal code generation.

The patch I have mentioned it optimize TRUNCATE (v16i32 to v16i8) for SSE2 & SSE4.1.
But it may not see this instruction as vectorizer might not generate this because of high cost.

In that patch TRUNCATE (v16i32 to v16i8) cost for SSE2 got already changed.
But looks like we missed changing cost for SSE4.1.

Thanks,
Ashutosh