[llvm-dev] RFC [ThinLTO]: Promoting more aggressively in order to reduce incremental link time and allow sharing between linkage units

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 7 11:58:29 PDT 2016

>> Can't you just call add_input_file with the original file in addition
>> to any .o files you created during linking?
>

> I think that almost worked, but I kept running into issues relating to the
> fact that the plugin needed to inform the linker about symbols in the native
> object file via add_symbols. What I ended up with was kind of unsound and
> still didn't work correctly for (at least) some parts of Chromium.
>
> I suppose I can try to pull up that work again and go into more detail on
> what exactly the issues were, if you're interested.

Not directly interested myself, but I think it is something that is
supposed to work, so patches to fix it (llvm or gold) would probably
be welcome.

If I remember correctly plugins are tested in gold with a test plugin
that reads the output of readelf in claim_file_hook and passes the
original files to gold in all_symbols_read.

Cheers,
Rafael