[llvm-dev] Source to Source

Richard Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 6 10:56:39 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:17 AM, David Castells Rufas via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I would like to manipulate the AST from a C++ source code from a Java
> application. As far as I know there are no good and open source methods to
> get a detailed AST from C++ in Java.
>
> May it be that clang (as it happens in gcc) try to discourage people to
> work with the AST outside llvm tools because of uninteded license use fears?

Not at all. For instance, we provide language bindings for AST traversal to
C and Python. If there were sufficient interest in Java bindings (including
patches to add the support in the first place, sufficient maintainers with
a solid track record, an interested user community, ...) it would not be
unreasonable to ship the bindings with Clang alongside the Python bindings.
The only reason we don't have these bindings is that, to date, there has
not been that level of interest.