[llvm-dev] LTO in LLVM3.8

Matt Godbolt via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 5 08:21:27 PDT 2016

In the linked bug, the issue is that symbols defined in multiple places
(LTO and non-LTO) are provided by the linker plugin (which in GCC's case
marks the symbols as private).  The error appears to be a difference in
which symbol gold or ld picks as canonical. I don't think it's the same as
the issue you're seeing (unless you're mixing LTO and non-LTO files).

I'd guess likely the 'ar' et al needs to be the llvm-ar. I have no
experience with LTO in llvm, but with GCC unless one uses the "right" ar,
then often LTO information is lost in the archive.