[llvm-dev] RFC: New aggressive dead code elimination pass

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 4 12:32:27 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:49 AM, David Callahan <dcallahan at fb.com> wrote:

> I may have not correctly used the IDFCalculator. I passed in the
> PostDominator tree and then changed the loop over successor blocks to also
> be able to iterate over predecessors. I did not see anything in the
> interface that would let that happen but perhaps I don’t understand the API
> so I modified it to explicitly iterate over predecessors under a flag.

Sigh.
Yes, we fixed it to take domtreebase, so it can take the postdomtree, but
nobody modified it to change the calculation.
I'll fix this in a second.

>  I don’t have comparisons but the problem I had was it would iterative
> over two much of the graph when we discovered a block was live.

So, the calculation should only happen once, and IDFCalculator should only
touch each block in the CFG a maximum of once, ever.

If it's doing more than that, it's broken for post-dom.
In the forwards, problem, i've never seen the *IDF* calculation to be
noticeable, only the post-dom calculation.
This would not be completely surprising if it's broken, but it would
definitely be broken :)

We would need to limit the processing. Perhaps the LiveInBblocks vector
> could be used to filter.  I will take a look and see if that allows an
> appropriate subgraph to be analyzed. The cost of building the
> post-dominator tree however was also noticible, but as you observe, it
> would remove a chunk of code.

Yeah, the post-dom cost problem is a problem we have elsewhere, and we
should just fix that in one of a myriad of ways.