[llvm-dev] TwoAddressInstructionPass::isProfitableToConv3Addr()

Jonas Paulsson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 30 02:15:25 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-30 01:15, Matthias Braun wrote:
> A similar setting occurs with ARM Thumb code which for many instructions has a short 2-address encoding and a longer 3 address form. As far as I know this is done by selecting the 3 address form and rewriting them to 2-address after register allocation where possible. See lib/Target/ARM/Thumb2SizeReduction.cpp.
>
> - Matthias

The late oportunistic conversion is simple, but can only work in cases
where regalloc happens to put the new definition in the same register as
one of the source operands. In case regalloc would try to do this as
much as possible, this might work most of the time, however I have no
idea if this is the case. Some targets may want round-robin allocation,
while others would prefer reuse of registers. Steve says he gets most of
it handled, how about ARM Thumb? Is this with RAGreedy?

>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 2:22 PM, Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jonas,
>>
>>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 2:00 AM, Jonas Paulsson via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have cases of instruction pairs, where one is cheaper 2-address, and the other 3-address. I would like to select the 2-addr instruction during isel, but use the 3-addr instruction to avoid a copy if possible. I find that TwoAddressInstructionPass::isProfitableToConv3Addr() is only checking
>>> for the case of a physreg copy, and so leaves the majority of cases as they are (2-address).
>>>
>>> I would like to say "If 3-addr version would avoid a copy, use it!". Does anyone else have a similar situation?
>> I think this is what it is supposed to do right now :). Though I reckon the test is probably over conservative in the sense that it returns true only if it can prove this is going to save a copy.

Yes, it is very much overconservative because it only checks the cases
of phys-reg copies around calls and returns, meaning that all other
cases are never transformed. I believe it should ask target to convert
to 3-address in all cases no source register is killed.

PPCVSXFMAMutate is indeed doing something towards the same goal. I
wonder if this pass could be removed/simplified if TwoAddress would be
aware of kill flags and eliminate more copys?

>>> To do this, one would need to check the kill-flag on the tied use operand. If it is not killed, one can assume that the use and dst registers overlap, and therefore the copy is needed for the two-address form. The kill flags would however need to be recomputed by TwoAddr pass, since
>>> LiveVariables clear them.
>>>
>>> An alternative approach might be to have something like TII->handleMachineFunctionPostCoalescer() at the end of RegisterCoalescer.cpp::runOnMachineFunction(). There, one could look for instructions and query live intervals for overlap. This hook might also be useful for other things, since this is the point just before mi-sched/regalloc, where one could do things like estimate register pressure.
>>>
>>> Any comments on this anyone?
>> We could try to fix the check in two-address pass first. I believe a hook like you describe might be useful but this is yet another thing to teach the coalescer, which is already complex enough IMO. Moreover, I like the separation of concerns that 2- and 3-addr conversions are made within a dedicated pass.
>> That being said, if getting the best code involves teaching the coalescer about this transformation, sure!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Q.
>>
>>> /Jonas Paulsson

/ Jonas