[llvm-dev] Parse Instruction

Pierre-Andre Saulais via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 06:32:14 PDT 2015

Hi ES,

 From what I understand instruction parsing is divided into two parts:

- Parsing an operand list (XXXAsmParser::ParseInstruction)
- Turning the operand list into an actual instruction
(XXXAsmParser::MatchAndEmitInstruction)

The second part does the validation (e.g. how many operands, what kind,
etc) while the first part only does the parsing. That's why I think in
the first part you have to handle all possible operand combinations
(i.e. parse the first operand, and keep parsing operands as long as you
see spaces). LLVM will reject instructions with too many operands (as
defined in the .td files).

Is this something that would work with your assembly syntax?

Cheers,
Pierre-Andre