[llvm-dev] The Trouble with Triples

Matthew Fortune via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 23 16:13:24 PDT 2015

I'd say that the only thing I consider to be stable about a triple is whether it represents little or big endian (I rejected the addition of a --with-endian configure time option from MIPS GCC a few months ago). Everything else from the triple is fuzzy at best. The debian multi-arch 'tuples' get as close as anything to well-defined triples but get ugly very quickly and have not been adopted by other distributions.

Matthew