[llvm-dev] MachineCSE of copy instructions

Quentin Colombet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 23 15:21:14 PDT 2015

Hi Matt,

This is expected.

Basically, for regular copies we want them to be handled by the coalescer, which has a nicer profitability metric.
For cross-bank copies, this is handled by the peephole optimizer. The case you expose is a limitation of the peephole optimizer. This is not fundamentally complicated to fix it, just we did not have motivating examples. The bottom line is we should fix the peephole optimizer for your test case.

You may find more details here:
See http://reviews.llvm.org/D3948 for more detailed.
and http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20140526/219000.html

Cheers,