[llvm-dev] [gentoo-dev] LLVM static libs

Michał Górny via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 20 21:17:44 PDT 2015

Dnia 2015-09-20, o godz. 22:32:54
Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien at gentoo.org> napisał(a):

> Hi,
>
> the first question is addressed both to llvm-dev and gentoo-dev. The
> second one is Gentoo specific.
>
> Is there any possibility to build LLVM both as static and shared libraries?
>
> What I see currently is that our ebuild makes LLVM to build shared libs
> unconditionally. Is there a possibility (if it is impossible to build
> both lib types) to at least give to user control on what kind of libs he
> will have?

No, static libraries are security flaw and waste of time.

The old Makefile-based build system used to build all LLVM libraries as
static, then link it all into one big .so which required special
handling. These days we use CMake which supports building only one type
of libraries.

Of course, some upstreams hack CMake to create duplicate library
entries for this. But we're certainly not going to do that for
the common Gentoo sake of 'choice' to shot yourself in the foot.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny