[llvm-dev] Skipping names of temporary symbols increased size of ARM binaries.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 19 12:06:34 PDT 2015

> What's the linker really doing here?  Is this some form of GC, or is it trying to strip out debug info, or...?

ELF files can have two symbol tables. The dynamic symbol table is the
only one that is required for execution. There can also be a regular
symbol table that includes more symbols as a convenience for users.

There are various options controlling which symbols are kept in the
regular symbol table. I think the default is to keep all but .L
symbols in SHF_MERGE sections.

Cheers,
Rafael