[llvm-dev] [LLVMdev] Help with using LLVM to re-compile hot functions at run-time

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 17 23:47:49 PDT 2015

Hi Revital,

Attached is a new version of the fully_lazy Orc Kaleidoscope demo that has
been extended to enable re-compilation at higher optimisation levels,
roughly following the scheme I outlined before.

In the compile action for the callback, the initial IR for each is
transformed like this:

                           unsigned foo_counter = 0;
void foo$impl() {          void foo$impl() {
  // foo body        ->      if (++foo_counter > 1000) {
}                              auto fooOpt = $recompile(&foo);
                               fooOpt();
                             }
                             // foo body
                           }

The key changes to make this work (which you can see by diff'ing toy.cpp
against the original fully_lazy version):

1) New layers HotCompileLayer and HotIROptsLayer added. These perform IR
optimisation and code generation at higher optimisation levels than the
default layers.
2) The symbol resolver function (not to be confused with the resolver
block) has been pulled out into its own function, createResolver, so that
it can be shared between optimised & non-optimized code. It also resolves
the "$recompile" function to a static method on the KaleidoscopeJIT class
itself.
3) The lazy compile action now calls 'instrumentFunctions' before adding
the IR for cold functions to the JIT.
4) The instrumentFunctions method injects the counter code and call to
recompile.
5) The recompileHot method re-IRGens functions, then adds them to the
HotIROpts layer to generate more optimized versions. It then updates the
function-body pointer so that subsequent calls go to the optimised version.

This is a bit quick-and-dirty, but does work. In the future I'll try to
tidy this up and turn it into a new tutorial chapter.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Lang.