[llvm-dev] The Trouble with Triples

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 17 06:31:59 PDT 2015

On 17 September 2015 at 14:21, Daniel Sanders <Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com> wrote:
>> What can't be done to TargetMachine to avoid this serialization?
>
> TargetMachine already has the serialization (see
> TargetMachine::TargetTriple). We're not doing anything new here. We're
> simply replacing one object holding faulty information with a new object
> holding reliable information.

I'd like to point out that we can't *replace* the triple
serialization, or we'd have a serious backward compatibility issue. We
can add new stuff, either to the triple field or to a new field,
however, without serious problems.

What this new information will look like, I don't know. But we have to
keep compatibility with triples in IR for *at least* a few major
releases.

cheers,
--renato