[llvm-dev] The Trouble with Triples

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 16 15:02:27 PDT 2015

On 16 September 2015 at 21:56, Jim Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> wrote:
> Why do we care about GAS? We have an assembler.

It's not that simple.

There are a lot of old code out there, including the Linux kernel
which we do care a lot, that only compiles with GAS. We're slowly
moving the legacy code up to modern standards, and specifically some
kernel folks are happy to move up not only the asm syntax, but the C
standard and move away from GNU-specific behaviour. But we're not
quite there yet, and might not be for a few more years. so, yes, we
still care about GAS.

But this is not just about GAS.

As I said on my previous email, this is about clearing the bloat in
target descriptions by both: removing the need for adding numerous CPU
names, target features, architecture names (xscale, strongarm, etc),
AND making sure all parties (front/middle/back-ends) speak the same
language, produced from the same source.

The TargetTuple is that common language, and the TargetParser created
from the TableGen files is the common source. The Triple becomes a
legacy constructor value for the Tuple. All other target information
classes are already (or should be) generated from the TableGen files,
so the ultimate source becomes the TableGen description, which I think
it what you were aiming to on your comment.

For simple architectures, like x86, you don't even need a
TargetParser. You can easily construct the Tuple from a triple and use
the Tuple as you've always used the triple. No harm done. But for the
complex ones like ARM and MIPS, having a common interface generated
from the same place the other interfaces are is important to avoid
more bridges between front and middle and back end interpretations of
the same target. Whatever legacy ARM or MIPS carry can be isolated in
their own implementation, leaving the rest of the targets with a clean
and simple interface.

cheers,
--renato