[llvm-dev] RFC: faster simplifyInstructionsInBlock/SimplifyInstructions pass

Marcello Maggioni via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 13 11:06:19 PDT 2015

Hi!
I like this of course!
A comment about the code that I noticed.
> [...]
>
> However, in our out-of-tree code, I found we were calling simplifyInstructionsInBlock on the entire function to clean things up before another pass. This turns out to be quite costly: the function is not very efficient, tends to revisit instructions more than is necessary, and spends a lot of time constructing weak handles and handling its worklists. I wrote a new version of it that is about ~3x faster and reduced our total compilation time by about 2%. The new version is very very fast: it’s a full-function simplify-and-DCE that looks to be about twice as fast as comparatively “fast” passes like ADCE — fast enough that I can imagine plopping it down in a pipeline pretty much wherever is relevant.
>
> Would anyone be interested in having this in LLVM? It could be a replacement for simplifyInstructionsInBlock, a replacement for SimplifyInstructionsPass, or whatever else is reasonable; I’m mostly just not sure where to put it, and want to be sure it’d be useful to someone (given the current comparative lack of use of this code in-tree). It -should- be NFC compared to simplifyInstructionsInBlock other than running per-function instead of per-block (which can be easily changed, I just made it per-function since that’s what was most useful to us).
>
> —escha
>
> P.S. Here’s the code. The main optimizations here are:
> 1. Use a worklist, not a recursive approach, to avoid needless revisitation and being repeatedly forced to jump back to the start of the BB if a handle is invalidated.
> 2. Only insert operands to the worklist if they become unused after a dead instruction is removed, so we don’t have to visit them again in most cases.
> 3. Use a SmallSetVector to track the worklist.
> 4. Instead of pre-initting the SmallSetVector like in DeadCodeEliminationPass, only put things into the worklist if they have to be revisited after the first run-through. This minimizes how much the actual SmallSetVector gets used, which saves a lot of time.
>
> static bool simplifyAndDCEInstruction(Instruction *I,
>                                       SmallSetVector<Instruction *, 16> &WorkList,
>                                       const DataLayout &DL) {
>   if (isInstructionTriviallyDead(I, nullptr)) {
>     // Loop over all of the values that the instruction uses. If there are
>     // instructions being used, add them to the worklist, because they might
>     // go dead after this one is removed.
>     SmallVector<Instruction *, 8> Operands;
>     for (User::op_iterator OI = I->op_begin(), E = I->op_end(); OI != E; ++OI)
>       if (Instruction *Used = dyn_cast<Instruction>(*OI))
>         Operands.push_back(Used);
>
>     // Remove the instruction.
>     I->eraseFromParent();
>
>     // Only add the operands to the worklist if their uses are now empty,
>     // to avoid needlessly revisiting instructions.

Instead of adding the operands to a list, erase the instruction and add them to the worklist wouldn’t be probably faster something like:

if (Instruction *Used = dyn_cast<Instruction>(*OI))
  if (Used->hasOneUse())
    WorkList.insert(Used);

If it has one use is going to be the instruction we are going to remove anyway, right?

Cheers,
Marcello