[llvm-dev] LLVM coding standards and order of includes

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 10 08:33:23 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Russell Wallace via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> According to the LLVM coding standards,
>
> Immediately after the header file comment
> <http://llvm.org/docs/CodingStandards.html#header-file-comment> (and
> include guards if working on a header file), the minimal list of #includes
> <http://llvm.org/docs/CodingStandards.html#minimal-list-of-includes>required
> by the file should be listed. We prefer these #includes to be listed in
> this order:
>
>    1. Main Module Header
>    2. Local/Private Headers
>    3. llvm/...
>    4. System #includes
>
> If a program is using LLVM, and also using a third-party library such as
> GMP, where would the coding standard have the GMP include be placed
> relative to the above order?

The LLVM coding conventions are really intended for LLVM's code itself,
they probably don't cover many situations that would arise when using LLVM
code in broader applications like this... (nor is it likely we'd want to
add wording to the style guide to clarify those use cases, unfortunately).

That said, we do have one (zlib compression?) or two (maybe md5 too?)
external libraries used in LLVM, I imagine they get bundled in with the
system includes, but I've not looked (& given that there aren't many, they
might not be done in any consistent/deliberate manner)

- Dave