[llvm-dev] LLVMBuildLandingPad is wrong on 3.7

deadal nix via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 6 02:19:30 PDT 2015

Hi all,

During the dev in between 3.6 and the release of 3.7, the personality
function was moved from the landingpad to the function itself.

During theses events, LLVMBuildLandingPad was changed, twice. The first
time in a backward incompatible way, the second in a backward compatible
way.

As things are now, the backward incompatible way is in 3.7 and the backward
compatible in master.

Meaning master is backward compatible with 3.6 but not 3.7.

That is bad. If there is ever a plan for 3.7.1, that'd be great to cherry
pick 7c898facbc5c707c77f25f7fd9b512a099af62a8 . Alternatively, master can
be made compatible with 3.7 .

I'd like to add that having some actual testing for the C API would have
prevented the whole confusion in the first place. I have a diff out to
start moving in that direction: http://reviews.llvm.org/D10725 . The damn
thing is out since June and nothing have moved since then.

If core devs are swaped and can't handle this, please delegate. I know
there is some discussion about the state of the C API, but the thread is
dead for weeks now, reasonable options have been presented, and I'm not
sure what is expected to move things here. ALL alternative proposed in the
thread pretty much are better than the status quo. I'm not sure what is
expected for thing to move forward. It seems that cores devs just aren't
using that API, but people actually using it or willing to work on it lack
the power to do so.

Please make something happen. Sooner rather than later. I'm here to help,
but really, if 2.5 month is what is required to get a test in, I'd be
probably dead of old age before being able to have any significant impact.
Same goes for others C API users.