[llvm-dev] RFC: Reducing Instr PGO size overhead

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 4 23:44:44 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 10:11 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 9:11 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > An MD5 sum cannot be represented as a blob of chars?
>>
>> yes -- it is fixed length (8byte) blob which may include null byte in
>> the middle.
>

> For reference, MD5 sum is 16 bytes (128-bit):
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

yes, LLVM's MD5 hash only takes the lower 64bit.

>> > Or to say it another way, suppose that Itanium mangling required as a
>> > final
>> > step to replace the string with its md5 sum in hex. Therefore all symbol
>> > names are "small". My understanding is that this is effectively all your
>> > patch is doing.
>>
>> The key type before the change is StringRef, while the after the key
>> type is uint64_t. Are you suggesting treating uint64_t md5 sum key as
>> a string of 8 bytes or storing md5 has in text form which will double
>> the size?
>

> How much does this change the benefit? If most of the benefit is avoiding
> extraordinarily long mangled names then it may be sufficient.
>
> With IR-level instrumentation like Rong is pursuing the size may be reduced
> sufficiently that we do not need the optimization proposed in this thread.
> For example, Rong found >2x size reduction on Google's C++ benchmarks, which
> I assume are representative of the extremely large Google binaries that are
> causing the problems addressed by your proposal in this thread. The
> measurements you mention for Clang in this thread provide similar size
> reductions, so Rong's approach may be sufficient (especially because
> functions with extremely large mangled names tend to be small inline
> functions in header-only template libraries).

Late instrumentation helps many cases. In some cases (as shown in
SPEC), the reduction in size is not as large. Reducing PGO overhead
will lower the bar for its adoption.

> Of the points you mention in "Large size of overhead can limit the usability
> of PGO greatly", many of the issues are hard limits that prevent the use of
> PGO. Do you have a lower bound on how much the size of the PGO data must be
> reduced in order to overcome the hard limits?

This is a static view:  Think about the situation where application
size is ever increasing; also think about situation where we want to
collect more types of profile data. Think about situation where user
want to run pgo binaries on small devices with tiny memory/storage ..

> Obviously LLVM must be able to support the extremely large binaries in your
> configuration (otherwise what use is LLVM as a compiler ;) My questions are
> primarily aimed at establishing which tradeoffs are acceptable for
> supporting this (both for LLVM and for you guys).

As I said, with the modified proposal (after getting your feedback),
no PGO users in LLVM land is going to lose anything/functionality. The
end result will be net win for general users of LLVM (even though your
customers don't care about it), not just 'us' as you have mentioned
many times.

> Btw, for us, the issue of PGO data size is not completely immaterial but is
> very different from your use case. For us, the primary issue is the
> additional memory use at run time, since PS4 games usually use "all"
> available memory. We had a problem with UBSan where the large amount of
> memory required for storing the UBSan diagnostic data at runtime required
> the game programmers to manually change their memory map to make room.
> +Filipe, do you remember how much memory UBSan was using that caused a
> problem?

My proposal does help reducing rodata size significantly.

David