[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Running tests on OS X 10.10 vs "Killed: 9"

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 4 12:46:35 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Nico Weber via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> building 'check-all' on any of my machines running OS X 10.10 usually
> fails because a few tests fail due to some processes being killed by the
> kernel (there's always "Killed: 9" somewhere in lit's error output).
> Everything's fine on 10.9.
>
> How do folks deal with this? Don't use 10.10 for building llvm? Is there
> some tweakable to tell the kernel "please don't kill my processes"?
>
> Here's an example from just now:
>
> FAIL: LLVM :: MC/X86/shuffle-comments.s (18589 of 28139)

Btw, for the sake of having this in writing somewhere: one other thing I've
run into (I was generating a huge number of lit tests for an artificial
reason; wasn't during normal development) is that once you go past ~32K
tests (2^15) lit's current way it queues up processes will cause it to
completely hang on Mac. Essentially the problem is that it has a for loop
like:

for t in tests:
    push_onto_threadsafe_queue(t)
... kick off worker threads that consume from the queue ...

unfortunately, push_onto_threadsafe_queue ups an OS semaphore and on mac
there is an upper limit of ~32K. Once you hit that
the push_onto_threadsafe_queue operation will block and therefore lit will
be completely blocked.

Someday we will need to e.g. spawn off a feeder thread to do the
push_onto_threadsafe_queue loop.

Filipe, did you say that you had actually run into the 32K limit at some
point during regular development? (what combination of LLVM repos were
checked out and being tested simultaneously?)

-- Sean Silva