[llvm-dev] LLVM as a back end for HHVM

Maksim Panchenko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 3 13:38:25 PDT 2015

Hi All,

Our team at Hip-Hop Virtual Machine (http://hhvm.com<http://hhvm.com/>) have been experimenting with using LLVM as a code generator for x86-64. We have been successfully running it for quite some time as a secondary back end. We had to modify our version of LLVM and our mods were based on 3.5 release. At this point we feel our requirements have become stable enough to start upstreaming our diffs.

A high-level overview of LLVM changes could be found at:

https://github.com/facebook/hhvm/tree/master/hphp/tools/llvm

The set of patches will be loosely based on the above,  as some of our interfaces have changed since we’ve merged with the trunk.

All feedback is welcome. Please let me know if you are interested and I’ll CC you explicitly on the reviews.

Thanks,
Maksim