[llvm-dev] Testing "normal" cross-compilers versus GPU backends

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 3 00:18:31 PDT 2015

You said you had 200+ failures with AMDGPU.  Are the AMD folks simply
tolerating the 200 failures, and you don't want to?  I should hope there
is more to it than that.

> IMO, the problem is in general about tests that are written without
> specifying a triple, that will be executed with the default triple.
>
> Most of these tests were written with X86 (or ARM) in mind, and there is
> no guarantee that they will behave as intended with every possible triple.
> The DataLayout for instance has to be the one from the target, and is not
> portable.
> I think a "portable backend test” is pretty rare in general.

It depends on what the test is trying to do.  I'm sure it is quite common
for IR tests to behave essentially the same way regardless of target.
We have lots of tests (the ones you chose to mark "native") that had been
working fine with ARM, X86, PPC, SPARC, and whatever.

The fact that they don't work with your backend is different from saying
those tests can't possibly work for any cross-compiler.  But the latter
is what your patch implemented, and it is preventing useful testing.
--paulr