[llvm-dev] RFC: alloca -- specify address space for allocation

Joseph Tremoulet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 1 18:54:44 PDT 2015

Thanks for your reply!

It sounds like you're understanding correctly what we're trying to do.

Reading your take prompted me to look back over how I came to my understanding of address spaces.  I think one part of it was reading a recent RFC[1] which explicitly discusses both aliased and disjoint address spaces.  Another aspect was the notion/name of the 'addrspacecast' operation.  I wonder: in your usage where address spaces demark private and global memory, is addrspacecast illegal, or does it require copying data around (and if so how would one know how much to copy), or can some memory be both private and global, or ... ?  The LangRef does state that "if the address space conversion is legal then both result and operand refer to the same memory location"[2].

At any rate, looking this up led me to the LangRef's section on data layout [3], which indicates that pointers into different address spaces can have different sizes, which is a property of the pointer and not the pointee.  So it must be possible that address spaces can tell us something about both pointer and pointee.  Sometimes (as in your case) the pointers are the same and only the pointee differs, and I wonder whether it's novel that LLILC's plan is to have the pointees the same and only the pointers differ.

Reading further, I see both that addrspacecast "can be a no-op cast or a complex value modification"[2] and that bitcast "may only be [used on pointers] with the same address space"[4].

So I'm getting the impression that it's ok to have a model with semantically meaningful aliasing between address spaces, but also that anywhere we want to reference a local's address with an addrspace(1) pointer (which is everywhere our source language takes its address), as things stand now we need either to use an addrspace cast which will be assumed to possibly have side-effects, or to round-trip through ptrtoint/inttoptr which I presume will obscure the aliasing information.  It certainly gives us a correct place to start from, but (unless I'm misunderstanding and the "complex value modification" type of addrspacecast isn't assumed to have side-effects) I wouldn't be surprised if we come back to this wanting a way to represent a cast across address spaces that's as transparent as a bitcast.

Thanks
-Joseph

[1] - http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-August/thread.html#89023
[2] - http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#addrspacecast-to-instruction