[llvm-dev] DragonEgg for gcc-5 and llvm-3.6

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 28 08:52:29 PDT 2015

Thanks very much for working on Dragonegg.  I don’t have an answer for your specific problem, but there has been discussion on the topic of the LLVM licensing agreement that seems to be considering dropping Dragonegg, I’m not sure if you are aware of this?

Dragonegg is the only method currently available to LLVM for incorporating FORTRAN numeric libraries into the set of targets that LLVM has code generators for, and while there are licensing issues to be careful of, the ability to import high quality mature FORTRAN libraries is very valuable to the LLVM community.  I think that the LLVM community needs to be aware of the utility of this particular project.  A huge amount of high quality, mature and robust HPC and numerical computing is currently only available through FORTRAN despite attempts to create C versions of BLAS, LAPACK, FFT3 and others.  But C suffers from aliasing issues that are hard to resolve, and the existing FORTRAN implementations of many libraries is only accessible to LLVM via the Dragonegg project.

Thanks again Arun & Tarun,

            MartinO