[llvm-dev] [RFC] Late October Update: Progress report on CMake build system's ability to replace autoconf

Andrew Wilkins via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 27 16:10:05 PDT 2015

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015 at 04:17 Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi LLVMDev,
>
> There’s been a good bit of progress this month, and with the dev meeting
> later this week I thought I’d send out a second update. There are only two
> outstanding blocking issues that don’t have patches proposed, PR 21568 &
> PR 23947. I would greatly appreciate if someone who works on Mips would
> take a look at PR 23947.
>
> The following issues have been marked as fixed since the last update I
> sent out.
> * Bug 14109 - CMake build for compiler-rt should use just-built clang
> * Bug 24157 - CMake built shared library does not export all public symbols
>
> These issues are still outstanding. Classification of blocking vs
> non-blocking are my own opinions, please let me know if you disagree. All
> non-blocking issues are still serious bugs that need to be fixed.
>
> Blocking Issues:
> * Bug 14200 - -fno-rtti not in cxxflags given by llvm-config (Patches out
> for review http://reviews.llvm.org/D11849)
> * Bug 21568 - Cannot add rpath
> * Bug 23947 - CMake+Mips: find_library() doesn't work correctly when
> recursing 64-bit (both N32 and N64 ABI's) compiler on Debian Jessie
> * Bug 25059 - CMake libllvm.so.$MAJOR.$MINOR shared object name not
> compatible with ldconfig (Two conflicting approaches are proposed to fix
> this in http://reviews.llvm.org/D13841 & http://reviews.llvm.org/D14040)

Sorry Chris, I had not seen your proposal. A little more background on why
I implemented such a complicated approach.

Debian's current packaging tacks a ".1" on the end of the SONAME. I *think*
this is necessary, but I'm not a Debian packaging expert; Sylvestre could
confirm. Anyway, that .1 doesn't make sense for everyone (anyone else?),
which is why it would be specified in an option.