[llvm-dev] InstCombine wrongful (?) optimization on BinOp with SameOperands

Nicolas Brunie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 26 12:05:15 PDT 2015

----- Mail original -----
De: "Hal Finkel" <hfinkel at anl.gov>
À: "Nicolas Brunie" <nicolas.brunie at kalray.eu>
Cc: llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Envoyé: Lundi 26 Octobre 2015 18:40:54
Objet: Re: [llvm-dev] InstCombine wrongful (?) optimization on BinOp with	SameOperands

----- Original Message -----

You might have figured this out by now, but no, InstCombine and DAGCombine are two completely different pieces of code. One is driven by the code in lib/Transforms/InstCombine/* and the other in lib/CodeGen/SelectionDAG/DAGCombiner.cpp. InstCombine's job is to move the IR toward our chosen canonical form, which is designed to simplify operations in a way that exposes further optimization opportunities (as well as being generally beneficial). It does not take target costs into account.

Yes indeed, I went on my visit of LLVM sources and discover my mistake. But your explanation helps my understanding, than you.

> In my backend's architecture truncate is free, but zext is not (and
> i64 is not a desirable type for xor or any binary operation in
> general),

Why, then, have you listed i64 as a legal type?

Because for operation such as mul, add, and in fact xor ... the targets does in fact supports i64, it is just more costly than i32 : the target is a VLIW which can do two 32b add or a single 64b one each cycle.
So when possible I would like LLLVM to forward the information it gathers about use of result : i.e. if only the 32 MSB of a i64 result are not used it will be better if only the 32b operations was performed and this optimization was recursively applied to the 64b DAG until a node whose 64b are effectively required.
  It may well be that I did not described my target correctly to LLVM and thus the 64b DAG is not simplified to 32b. I was under the impression that I should declare i32 as a "preffered" type for these operations and i64 as legal because I do not want i64 operations to be legalize/expanded just simplified (but maybe this is the point of the "legal" declaration).

Thank you a lot for digging-up this thread, and for the info

Regards,
Nicolas