[llvm-dev] Building llvm so it can be installed by other users

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 23 02:57:35 PDT 2015

The usual way to handle this is:

The "--prefix" argument or PREFIX env variable is used to specify the
location in which the final program/libraries etc will be stored.

The "--destdir" argument or DESTDIR env variable is used to specify the
location in which the build products will be placed when you do "make
install". It will probably not be possible to run the program from this
location, because it will look for libraries at the "PREFIX" location.

This makes it easy to simply tar up the entire contents of DESTDIR and then
untar them in PREFIX on the same or other machines. Untarring does not
affect existing files in the tree you are untarring into.