[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

Arnaud A. de Grandmaison via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 21 05:52:26 PDT 2015

Hi David,

> - Contributor A submits something that infringes a patent owned by A...

I think the proposal also addresses this case (the first one in your email).
I believe several companies have some sort of process to ensure this does not happen (clean room, training, peer review, legal review, ...), but the risk will never be zero. And the more contributors a company has / the more contributions a company makes will only make the risk become a fact ... after some time. This proposal  really acts as a risk containment: if company A erroneously contributed in this case, then company A is protected (only the necessarily infringed patents are affected) as well as the users of this contribution. Beside, this protection would be made clearly in the license file in the source tree, not in a separate web page.

I think there is some merit in having all the legal blurb in a single place within the source tree as well as attempting some clarification on the patent subject. I personally see this as a step in the right direction.

Kind regards,
--
Arnaud