[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving license & patent issues in the LLVM community

Jonas Maebe via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 21 05:18:42 PDT 2015

David Chisnall via llvm-dev wrote on Wed, 21 Oct 2015:

> I think that we have three possible cases:
>
> - Contributor A submits something that infringes a patent owned by A.
..

> - Contributor A submits something that infringes a patent owned by NPE B.
..

There's also the combination of these two: contributor A submits
something that infringes a patent owned by A, later on goes bankrupt
and their patents get acquired by NPE B (or their new management is
headed by Darl McBride). I think in that case the patent license also
could be valuable.

Jonas