[llvm-dev] Building llvm so it can be installed by other users

David Lobron via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 20 13:26:31 PDT 2015

Hey All,

I'm working on packaging the current version of llvm for use by other people at my company.  As part of this, I'd like to make a tarball of my build, so that other users do not have to rebuild from source in order to use llvm for their builds.  Ideally, I'd like my makefile to un-tar my build output, and then do a "make install" to install anything that has been updated - we have a standard install root called "common" that lives one directory up from the build directory on our build machines.

The tricky thing I'm running into is that all of the makefiles generated by cmake contain absolute paths, e.g.,

 "/home/dlobron/build/clangport/akamai/llvm/llvm-3.7/llvm/include/llvm"

I was wondering if it's possible to build llvm in such a way that all of these files contain relative paths.  It would be perfect for me if the above line, and all other generated makefile paths, would read like this:

 "../common/include/llvm"

I tried setting -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX, but it picked up the full path- I wasn't sure how to tell it to keep the path relative.

Thanks for any help you can give!

--David